If you are someone who does any sort of crafting or DIY activities, then it is always best to have a rotary tool at hand.
There is no knowing when this tool is going to come in handy, simply because they can complete so many functions. But, if you are considering adding a rotary tool to your kit, there is no better brand than Dremel.
When it comes to rotary tools, Dremel holds the top spot, and they have for a very long time.
While there are some other manufacturers of this type of tool, Dremel completely dominates the market with a wide range of models, all with different features and abilities. So, if you want to buy a rotary tool, then you have to choose a Dremel model.
But, choosing between the various different options that this company produces can be difficult. However, in this guide we’re doing just that. So, if you want to find the best Dremel tool for crafting, then keep on reading.
Best Dremel Tool
Our favorite Dremel tool on the market is the Dremel 8220-1/28 model. This is a cordless model, and one of the most versatile that Dremel offers.
This tool comes with a complete kit of different accessories that can be used to complete different crafting activities, from wood-carving to sanding to engraving connections, this tool comes with everything. But this isn’t the only thing that is great about this model.
As well as coming with lots of different accessories, this tool is also cordless and has an extremely powerful battery. This battery lasts for a long time, and then can be simply removed and plugged into the charger to recharge.
Within 1 hour, the battery will have reached full capacity once more, allowing you to use it freely again.
The battery on this tool is great, and it is one of the main factors that make it so easily portable. But, this is also aided by the fact that it has a compact design, which makes it easy to carry around with you.
Additionally, it has a lightweight and ergonomic design that sits comfortably in your hand, and also makes it even easier to carry this tool around. This combined is why we think this is the best Dremel tool on the market.
- Compact and Portable – this Dremel tool is very powerful, but it is also compact and portable, making it perfect for crafting activities.
- Lightweight and Ergonomic Design – handling this tool is simple due to its lightweight and ergonomic design, which allows it to sit comfortably in your hand.
- Removable, Quick-Charging Battery – the battery in this cordless tool charges in just 1 hour, meaning that you don’t have to wait long for it to recharge.
- Not Built for Everyday Use – while this tool is powerful, it is much better suited to crafting activities than everyday DIY jobs.
- Compact, portable, & powerful: 12V Lithium-Ion battery provides maximum performance and run time at all speeds (5,000-30,000 RPM).
- Versatile rotary tool kit: Includes 8220 cordless rotary tool, 1 attachment, 28 high-quality Dremel accessories, charger, plastic storage case, and accessory case.
- Quick accessory changes – Patented EZ twist nose cap makes accessory changes fast and easy without the need of a wrench
- Removable Li-ion battery: Always ready with no memory effects. Charges in one-hour.
- Slim & ergonomic body – 360-degree grip zone & lightweight design allows you to work comfortable in tight spaces.
We also love the Dremel 4300-5/40 model. This model is a high performance tool, so it is perfect for more intense crafting jobs that you want to get completed.
So, if you are upcycling a larger piece of furniture, this is the perfect tool. Just like the last model we looked at, this also comes as part of a complete kit with all the accessories you could possibly need.
This is true of almost all models of Dremel tools, and it is just one of the many benefits this company offers.
But, there is so much more that makes this a great option. For one, this is a high performance model, and so it comes with features to aid this. These features include a variable speed option.
With this, you can alter the speed between 5,000 and 35,000 RPM until you find a speed that works for you. The technology that allows this also ensures that the speed will be kept consistent and steady on each setting, making this tool very reliable.
However, this tool thinks of everything. One of the most common issues with these styles of tool is that they become hot quickly, but this model comes with innovative air flow technology.
This means that you can use this tool for as long as you want without it overheating. With this, plus an LED light that always allows you to see what you are doing, it is clear that this is a great option if you are looking for a Dremel tool.
- Pivot LED Light – with this tool you never have to worry about being unable to see what you are doing as it comes with a LED pivot light.
- Innovative Air Flow – thanks to the design of this tool, you also do not need to worry about it overheating as it comes with innovative air flow technology.
- Variable Speed – this tool comes with variable speeds from 5,000 to 35,000 RPM for consistent and steady performance throughout.
- The Cord is Stiff – the cable that connects this tool to the electricity is a bit stiff to begin with, and will require breaking in.
- Premium rotary tool kit - Includes 4300 high performance rotary tool, 5 attachments, 40 high-quality Dremel accessories, and plastic storage case.
- High performance motor – Our most powerful motor delivers maximum performance even in the most demanding applications.
- Variable speed - 5,000 – 35,000 RPM with electronic feedback for consistent performance and accurate tool control
- Universal 3-jaw chuck - Allows the use of all Dremel accessory shank sizes making it compatible with the entire line of our high-quality accessories.
- Pivot light - Rotates to illuminate your projects even in difficult to reach spaces
Alternatively, another great high performance model is the Dremel 4000-2/30. This is very similar to the last model, but it does have a few less features, simply because it is a cheaper option.
So, if you are on a tighter budget, but need a high performance Dremel tool, this might be the perfect choice for you.
Just like the last model that we looked at, the 4000-2/30 has a high performance motor that makes it perfect for heavy-duty activities.
So, if you are looking to upcycle big pieces of furniture, or have a crafting project that is going to take a long time, this is the perfect tool for you.
Additionally, it has an ergonomic and lightweight design which ensures that your hands will be comfortable holding this tool for long times, allowing you to complete the project without any pain or discomfort.
If that wasn’t enough, this tool also offers a consistent performance, and even has variable speed options from 5,000 to 35,000 RPM. So no matter what task you are completing, the Dremel 4000-2/30 will be a great tool for the job.
- Ergonomic Design – lightweight and ergonomic design ensures that it is easy and comfortable to hold this tool, even for long periods of time.
- High Performance Motor – this tool is designed for heavy-duty activities, so it is more than capable of completing all crafting jobs.
- Consistent Performance – this model comes with variable speed options, ensuring consistent performance when you are using it.
- Power Switch Needs Breaking In – the power switch on this model is a little stiff, but it will ease after a couple of uses.
- Versatile rotary tool kit: Includes 4000 corded rotary tool, 2 attachments, 30 high-quality Dremel accessories, plastic storage case, and accessory case
- High performance motor – Provides maximum power and performance at all speeds
- Variable speed (5,000 – 35,000 RPM) and electronic feedback circuitry for consistent performance even in the most demanding applications
- Innovated air flow system- Ventilation mechanism helps prevent heat build-up for smoother, cooler, and quieter operation
- Slim and ergonomic body – 360-degree grip zone for added comfort and grip during extended use
If you aren’t focused on high performance, and instead care deeply about the speed options available, then the Dremel 3000-2/28 might be the perfect model for you.
This is one of Dremel’s ‘variable speed’ models, and just like the other options we have looked at so far, it comes as part of a complete kit. So no matter what you need for your crafting, it will be included in this kit.
The speed options on this model allow you to alter the speed between 5,000 and 35,000 RPM. This is the same as the models that we have looked at previously, however there are only 6 options between these different speeds.
The limited options offer a lot more control over the tool when it is operating at these speeds, ensuring that no damage will come to whatever you are working on.
If this isn’t enough to sell you on this model, it is also worth noting that it is a cordless option, which makes it easily portable.
The battery power isn’t as good as the 8220-1/28 model that we looked at earlier, but if you just want a tool for smaller jobs, this is the perfect Dremel tool for you.
- 6 Speed Options – this tool comes with 6 speed options between 5,000-35,000 RPM, giving you lots of options to choose from.
- Complete Kit – this model comes in a kit that contains absolutely everything you could ever need for crafting jobs.
- Portable Design – lightweight and ergonomic design makes this tool easily portable.
- Limited Battery Capacity – the battery on this tool isn’t great, and it does die pretty quickly after charging, so it is only suitable for smaller jobs.
- VERSATILE ROTARY TOOL KIT : Includes 3000 corded rotary tool, 2 attachments, 28 high-quality Dremel accessories, plastic storage case, and accessory case
- HIGH PERFORMANCE 1.2AMP MOTOR : Provides maximum power and performance at all speeds
- 6 VARIABLE SPEEDS : Provide greater control and maximum accessory versatility and precise tool control (5,000 – 35,000 RPM)
- INNOVATED AIR FLOW SYSTEM : Ventilation mechanism helps prevent heat build-up for smoother, cooler, and quieter operation
- SLIM & ERGONOMIC BODY : 360-degree grip zone for added comfort & grip during extended use
Finally, we would recommend the Dremel Lite 7760 N/10 model. This is very different to the models that we have looked at so far, as it is part of the ‘Lite’ range by Dremel.
These models are a lot more user-friendly. So, if you are someone who has very little experience with rotary tools, this might be the perfect option for you. The lite range also tends to be cheaper, so it is great if you are on a budget.
This model is cordless, and this is what leads to our favorite feature in its design. With most power tools, you will only know that the battery is going to die when it dies. But, this isn’t the case with the Dremel Lite 7760 N/10.
This model comes with a battery life model, so you can track the battery, and know exactly when it requires charging. So, you will no longer need to worry about starting a new job, and the battery dying just a minute into it.
Along with this, this model also has a lightweight design, which allows for extreme precision when using it for crafting.
This combined with the fact that it has the trademark Dremel EZ twist nose cap, for easy accessory change, easily makes it one of the best Dremel tools on the market.
- Battery Life Monitor – this tool comes with a battery life monitor so that you know when the battery is dying, and when it requires recharging.
- Easily Change Accessories – with the trademark Dremel EZ twist nose cap, it is incredibly easy to change the accessories on this tool.
- Lightweight and Precise – the compact and lightweight design of this tool makes it easy to hold, and very easy to get precise results.
- Ineffective ‘Cooling Slots’ – this tool comes with ‘cooling slots’ to prevent overheating, but unfortunately these slots can easily get filled with dust.
- Multipurpose rotary tool – From woodworking, carpentry, car care to jewelry making and more; Not recommended for cutting, drilling, or routing.
- The versatile 7760 Lite is the diyer’s go-to solution for light duty DIY and crafting projects. Includes 10 accessories to kick start your projects right out of the box.
- Quick accessory changes – With the patented EZ Twist Nose Cap, accessory changes are easy and done without the need of a wrench. Collet size is 1.8”.
- Variable speed - Seamlessly adjust to the ideal speed from 8,000 to 25,000 for optimal control & maneuverability
- Easy battery charging - The rechargeable 4V Li-ion battery & convenient USB charger ensures that it’s ready whenever you are, Battery Size: 4-volt, Battery Amp Hours: 2Ah
The Dremel tools that we have looked at are some of the best on the market. But, if you still aren’t sold, we’ve put together this handy buyer’s guide of things to consider when buying a Dremel tool for crafting.
Corded vs Cordless
The most important thing that you need to consider when buying a Dremel tool is whether you want a corded or cordless model.
Dremel produces a massive range of these tools, and there are lots of different corded and cordless ones to choose from.
If you want to be able to use your Dremel tool on the go, or don’t want to be restricted by cables, then a cordless option would definitely be best for you.
But remember, cordless models will be restricted by the strength of the battery, and its capacity to hold charge. So, if you want to complete large jobs using your Dremel tool, a corded option might be the better choice.
So, before you buy either type of Dremel tool, consider the tasks that you want to use it for and whether a corded or cordless option is better for you and your needs.
Another incredibly important thing to consider is the accessories that are included with your Dremel tool. These accessories are incredibly important because they will have a huge influence on the jobs that you can complete with your tool.
The models that we have looked at in this guide are all part of a tool kit, which means that they come with a kit of different accessories which you can use with the tool.
But, Dremel does sell tools completely on their own, without any accessories. So, before you buy, we would always recommend checking that the model that you are buying comes with accessories.
Additionally, you need to think about the speed of the Dremel tool. Some models will come with only 1 or 2 speed options, whereas others will come with as many as 6.
So, before you buy, you need to consider the speed that you want your Dremel tool to reach.
In this guide, we have looked at some ‘high performance’ models that Dremel offer, and all of these have a speed range between 5,000 and 35,000 RPM.
So, if you want a Dremel tool that is able to reach high speeds, consider buying one of these models.
Finally, you need to consider the ventilation on your Dremel tool. Power tools are prone to overheating, purely because they are so powerful. But, Dremel tools tend to have technology built into them to prevent this.
In some of their models, this ventilation technology isn’t that successful. For example, the cooling slots in their Lite models. But, in others, their ventilation technology is incredibly successful.
So, before you buy a Dremel tool, you should consider the ventilation ability of the device. Especially, if you are buying a Dremel tool with the intention of using it for a very long time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Dremel Tools worth it?
Yes, a Dremel tool is definitely worth it. These are, undoubtedly, one of the most versatile pieces of equipment that you can add to your tool kit, and their list of uses is seemingly endless.
Not only are they insanely versatile, but Dremel tools are also built incredibly well. Their sturdy and durable design ensures that you will get years of use out of your Dremel tool. So, yes, they are definitely worth it.
What is the most versatile Dremel tool?
Without a doubt, the most versatile tool that Dremel produces is the Dremel 4300. We took a look at this model earlier, and it is easy to see why it is the most versatile.
Not only can it be used for a wide variety of jobs, but it also comes with an LED light. This gives you a better ability to see what you are doing in the light, and also allows you to use the tool during darkness.
So, this is definitely their most versatile tool.
Is there a better rotary tool than Dremel?
There are quite a few other companies that produce rotary tools, but nothing will beat a Dremel tool.
This company has been at the forefront of this sector for a long time, and their models are simply superior in terms of speed, precision, and lots more.
So while there are other manufacturers of rotary tools out there, we don’t think you will ever be able to beat a Dremel.